There are records of Streetwide Houseparties as early as 1908, though it's possible that they're older. Lewis S. Mudge '51 described the 1908 Houseparties as "prim, correct affairs," in line with conventional social standards of the time. Even the major newspapers of New York and Philadelphia would cover Houseparties, sending photographers to campus. Students had to find dates from outside the college, and so Colonial Club made sure to host an event known throughout the Northeast...Read More
Colonial Club was the first on the street to switch from bicker to a sign-in system in 1971. In fact, Colonial was so popular that year that sophomores literally slept on the porch in the freezing cold so they could sign in before the club filled to capacity.Read More
Colonial Club was founded in 1891, fifth of the eating clubs. It drew its name — mistakenly, it would seem — from its first clubhouse, an old ship captain's house on Nassau Street, thought to date to the Colonial period. In fact, it dates to the Federal period and still stands in the same location near the intersection of Nassau and Queenston Place: a narrow stone building, well back from the street, with three distinctive porches stacked atop each other.